An exciting vacancy exists for a Production Manager in our Somerset-based site. The ideal candiddate will have experience and a sound working knowledge of multi axis CNC lathes and milling machine tools, as well as a background in the Aerospace and Defence sectors, including best practises and AS9100 Quality Management systems. A HNC/HND in Mechanical Engineering would be desirable, as would evidence of being able to manage and lead continuous improvement activities, using mainstream LEAN methodology (using six sigma, 8Ds etc.).
The Production Manager will act as the first point of call for any production and / or staff issues on the shop-floor and will also be responsible for organising production and contract review meetings. Leading by example and managing all staff in the operations / production department, the Production Manager is responsible for ensuring a safe and compliant workplace and that the team follows company HS&E and quality policies and work instructions.
• Leadership experience in a similar manufacturing environment with a positive 'can do' attitude and the ability to motivate and lead others
• Strong communication skills, comibned with the art of persuasion and an ability to deal with conflict
• Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
• PC literate with the ability to follow documented procedures
• Exceptional organisational skills including a strong attention to detail
• Commitment to achieving deadlines
• Experience using Solidworks / Hypermill / Edgecam / Cad-Cam and 3D Modelling software
Reports to: Operations Manager / Managing Director
Business Systems Process User of: SPR-05, SPR-06, SPR-07, SPR-08, SPR-09, SPR-10, SPR-11, SPR-12, SPR-13, SPR-15, SPR-16, SPR-17
- Ensure a safe and compliant workplace by managing manufacturing process
- Minimise workplace risks and adhere to all HS&E requirements and legislation
- Manage Production KPIs and utilise and develop skills matrix
- Liaise with Quality Manager to ensure the company is HS&E compliant
- Liaise with Operation Manger to ensure Turning and Milling teams adhere to work schedules
- Liaise with Management to ensure all training needs are met
- Organise overtime / additional support for operators as needed
- Manage company lean improvements
- Chair weekly production meetings
Main Purpose and Scope of Job
The successful candidate will be responsible for capacity, resource management and M-CNC product realisation. Effective capacity management will ensure that all products are superb quality, on time and in full to customer needs and specification. The Production Manager will continually liaise with the Turning and Milling Supervisors, helping to improve communication between the shop-floor and the scheduling department. In the exceptional circumstance of not being able to fulfill a customer order on time and/or in full, the Production Manager will advise the Operations Manager of any short fall in quantity or timing and offer a proactive remedy (fair allocation, delegation of overtime within their area of responsibility etc.).
Statement of Accountabilities
Maintain the business
- Lead by example and represent the company in a professional and positive manor in line with company quality policies
- Operate as an effective member of the leadership team and maintain the company’s AS 9100 processes
- Be responsible for production and quality KPIs
- Report on operational progress, OTD, Scrap £, Safety, quality, non-conformances
- Advise and recommend any training requirements
Improve the business
- Maintain data integrity of jobs
- Improve shop floor workplace design and organisation
- Develop the team skills for full flexibility
- Develop a continuous improvement programme following AS9100 standard
Knowledge and Experience Required
Delegation, influence others, managing conflict, leading, lean manufacturing knowledge, problem solving, persuasion, communication skills, research, motivating others, product and tooling knowledge, professionalism, customer quality expectations, decision making.
- Company HSE policy
- Company AS 9100 standards
- M-CNC Engineering product and capability awareness
This job description is not exhaustive. The company expects employees to be flexible in their approach and to undertake reasonable extra duties that may be required.