A vacancy exists for an experienced estimator planner. This role will support the Business Development Manager through the process of evaluation and cost estimation/bid development and quotations for Machined Component work packages. Additional activities will include the repeat cost estimation for existing products, support of customer change activities, evaluation of estimate performance post-contract and supporting commercial requirements required for customer inputs.
Reports to: Business Development Manager
Business Systems Process User of: Extensive knowledge of CNC Turning and 3, 4 and 5 axis CNC Milling machines
- Evaluating technical drawings, models and specifications to accurately compile cost estimates
- Evaluating and calculating the optimum manufacturing process, work centres, materials and special tooling required for all estimates produced
- Investigating, evaluating and applying new technologies to estimates to ensure the best solution is met in line with the bid strategy
- Ensuring all duties meet the required deadlines and customer requirements/expectations (both internal and external)
- Recognising and identifying applicable business risks during bid development
- Assisting the Business Development team by liaising with the customer during bid preparation
- Performing appropriate engineering trade studies during bid preparation to establish the most cost-effective outcomes (this may include market testing components and/or working with machine tool companies to develop formal time studies)
Knowledge and Experience Required
Experienced CNC Engineer, Estimator and/or Machinist highly desirable (consideration will be given to time served machinist with office/planning experience). The ideal candidate will have the ability to work under pressure, handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. You will be a team player with initiative and the ability to work independently and have excellent interpersonal skills. Good communication skills when engaging with a variety of clients, from management to quality inspectors, is a must.
- Holder of a Mechanical Engineering degree
- Materials awareness and understanding/differentiating between materials including Titanium, Inconel and other heat resistant alloys
- Knowledge of outside processes including heat treating, plating and other finishing
- Experience using an MRP/CRM or ERP software systems
- Experience of CAD (Solid Works preferred)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office computer skills, Excel/Word and Powerpoint
This job description is not exhaustive. The company expects employees to be flexible in their approach and to undertake reasonable extra duties that may be required.